Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Being a Pledge Father

This is taking up a large amount of my time this semester, but I honestly feel that this contribution to the fraternity is worth my time. Not only do I have the opportunity to form the mind and spirits of the next DU generation (who will be responsible for keeping my drinking legacy aflame), but I also give much to the brothers I am not personally indoctrinating, because the Pledge Father is essentially responsible for running all of the fraternity's pleasurable activities over the course of the pledge process (which in our case is likely to last through April).

Of course, as would be expected, the Weltanschauung of the Pledge Father is, and must be, strikingly different to that of the Pledge. The profundity of this difference can, I believe, only truly be understood when a brother has personally fulfilled both roles and his duties therein - an accomplishment of which I can now (at least partially) boast. Case in point: the sadistic pleasure that warmly flowered into a hearty chuckle as I crafted Dicktaters and adorned my wayward pledges with them is in stark contrast to the fear and embarrassment I recall from being subject myself to the same punishment.

Dicktater: a potato worn over the male genitalia, usually by way of a string drawn through the potato and around the waist, intended to humiliate pledges who feel they themselves can dictate the terms of the pledge process and therefore need to have the hierarchy of authority exemplified.

No comments: