Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Complicated

Life can get so, so complicated. I really am not sure how I am going to sort out the next month or so. I have to visit Angelica during the first half of August before she flies half-way around the world, and hopefully go to a medieval festival with her that she usually goes to every summer. Timing is awkward, though.

Her sister is getting married on the first weekend of August, which means either I miss the wedding and meet her sometime afterwards, or go to the wedding but have to make my own way from wherever I fly into. Additionally, my Dad has planned a family backpacking trip during the first week of August, that I cannot miss (last chance family bonding), but which is also right before the arrival of my aunt who is visiting us from Vancouver.

Timing is not the only issue though. I need to take enough time off during my trip down to try and do some apartment searching in DC - under the presumption that I will, eventually, sign a contract with the IFC. It does not help that, despite having formally given me my offer, they cannot give me an official start date until I get my G-4 visa...which will take "4 to 6 weeks". So I will probably be signing a contract on an apartment for the beginning of September despite not knowing when my start date is. And this lack of knowledge, of course, makes planning my eventual 'move' to DC rather difficult.

Finally, there is the cost. I'll be buying a return flight to DC to visit Angelica, spending on lodging in DC while I search for an apartment, and foregoing potential $ by taking time off work. Then I will be flying back to DC at the end of the summer, for which, by the way, I am unable to give my current boss advance warning on my contract termination since I don't have an official start date.

Yes, complicated. I'll just have to go with the flow. Angelica gave me some peppermint tea which should help to destress me.

No comments: