Thursday, July 28, 2005

Poker

Poker is an incredible game. Every time I play, no matter the outcome, I find myself being drawn deeper into a bona fide poker addiction. Perhaps worryingly, it is also starting to occupy much of the background noise that my mind generates during the day.

And that, I believe, is the crux of poker's attraction; there is as much fun to be had in the postgame analysis as there is in the game itself; even if I am knocked out early in tournament-style Texas Hold'em, I remain fixated on the game and its remaining players, automatically evaluating hands, betting moves, and considering just what the hell I would have done with that flop.

My growing love for the game is fueled by the fact that I have been quite successful thus far; I have managed to make money on every game I have played but one - definitely an incentive to continue. Hopefully, whatever my living situation next year, I will be able to get some guys together for a regular game.

No comments: