Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Democratic Deficit at the World Bank

Today Wolfowitz starts his first day on the job as President of the World Bank (that hallowed institution I am praying will hire me). I personally think it was a poor appointment and another serious error by the Bush administration, and I am cautious of the direction in which Wolfowitz will take the World Bank. However, as a recently-graduated student trying to make a dent in global poverty, I'll start where I can, and a post within that organisation, regardless of its leadership, would undoubtedly be an incredibly valuable experience.

One term that struck me from the BBC article linked above was "Democratic Deficit", something Matt addressed vis-a-vis Canadian politics. Organisations grow. (In fact, they are bizarrely organic in this respect.) And when they grow, it appears as though the democratic deficit always becomes a significant problem: bureaucrats and internal politics reduce the organisation's efficiency and, more fundamentally, its ability to carry out its initial function and to represent (democratically) its constituents and stakeholders.

Do organisations have to remain small, or is there an effective cure for the DD that accompanies maturity?

No comments: