Friday, June 03, 2005

Waking Life and coffee

I watched Waking Life with Matt last night. Absolutely incredible. I am certain that it is a post-modern masterpiece, even if I didn't really understand it. To be able to fully appreciate the movie, I will a) need to watch it multiple times, b) read more philosophy.

I am starting to find my lack of a formal philosophy education increasingly frustrating. Hopefully I can remedy my ignorance in this field through personal reading, something I would like to attempt this summer (if I can finally finish Dune...) At Second Cup last night, before engaging in a philosophical rant with Matt on subjects vaguely pertaining to the movie we had just watched, I recognized the guy working behind the counter - Sean. Relevance? I mentioned to him the possibility of working at Second Cup over the summer, which would (he assured me) afford one the opportunity to read.

But I already have a job, I hear you say. This is true. However, there are several reasons for which the Second Cup job intrigues me. Firstly, I have never worked in a coffee shop before, and if I am going to do so, it's now or never. Secondly, I would remain in the job I currently have, and take the Second Cup job only as an evening gig - even though it only pays $6.50 an hour, the extra money would be nonetheless appreciated, and I would (ideally) spend most of the time reading anyway. It would also keep me away from my house, which is a hellhole right now. Thirdly, I am betting that you get free coffee out of it. That would be caffeine-o-liscious.

No comments: