Thursday, June 23, 2005

Sixth Sense?

I was just contacted this morning about a theft from the Men's Locker Room at the Nexen Gym on the evening of June 16th. Someone in security wrote me the following:

Hi Shane. We've received a report of a theft from the men's change room between
6:00pm and 6:30pm on Thursday, June 16th. I'm doing some rotuine checking with
the staff that accessed the exercise area around the time of the theft -
in the event they saw anything suspicious. A check of the card readers indicated
you entered the exercise room at 5:40pm. Can you advise the following:
What
time did you leave the change room? Were there any males in the change room or
exercise area when you left? Did you see anything suspicious?
Thanks for
your time - appreciate it!
Perry


Bizarrely enough, I recalled this evening clearly and immediately. I wrote him back the following:

Hi Perry,

Actually, I think I clearly recall the evening you are
talking about. I had come in late to work out after work, and there were very
few people in the exercise room – just one man and one woman I believe. When I
went into the changing room, there was another man in there. As I was changing
to go running, I remember feeling odd about the way he was behaving…he had his
shirt off, but did not seem to be getting ready to work out or to shower. I felt
suspicious enough to not leave my bag in an open locker as I usually do – I
actually took it with me into the exercise room and kept it beside my treadmill.
Apparently this was a good decision!
If I entered at 5:40, I would have
left the changing room by approximately 5:50, and then would have left the gym
altogether by around 6:30. I did not go back into the change room after my
workout.
Let me know if you have any more
questions.
Regards,
Shane


The impulse to take my backpack into the workout room with me was entirely instinctual and based solely on a gut feeling I had in the presence of that man. Either I was subconsciously identifying elements in his behavior that marked him as a criminal, or my mind was picking up something outside of normal sensory perception.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The impulse to take my backpack into the workout room with me was entirely instinctual and based solely on a gut feeling I had in the presence of that man. Either I was subconsciously identifying elements in his behavior that marked him as a criminal, or my mind was picking up something outside of normal sensory perception."

We pick up a lot of stuff subconsciously, that's not that unusual. What is unusual is when someone in our society actually pays attention to those instincts. I wouldn't say that what you picked up on was outside of normal sensory perception, bit it may have been outside of the sensory perception that we normally pay attention to.

Then that leaves the question, why as a society have we trained ourselves to ignore those perceptions? Why don't we pay attention to smells and wind fluctuations and vibrations that animals are great at detecting and I'm sure we once were too. Are we that focused on finding proofs for everything that we feel, or are we just getting lazier?

Shane said...

Sadly, it may be that the human race is becoming lazier. In the post-modern age of consumerism and "I want more of everything better now" we are becoming isolated from the needs for which such instincts may have been evolutionarily developed. If there really is no longer a danger of a tiger eating you, your instincts to stop that from happening could conceivably die out, or fade into insignificance.

Anonymous said...

Dude, those were nothing short of McGyver-like instincts...good job!