Monday, August 08, 2005

Excited

I am very excited to see my girlfriend later this week - it feels as though it has been forever and a day since we parted, and it's going to be wonderful to spend a week with her before she leaves for Egypt. Plus, the medieval festival that we are going to with her family (Pennsic) sounds as though it will be a blast. Unfortunately, I don't have enough training to be able to join in the battles and jousting tournaments, but I should at least be able to employ my palate at the beer-tasting.

Consequently, these last three days at the office before my break are likely to pass painstakingly slowly, but there is little I can do about it but try to accomplish as much as possible towards my summer project before I leave.

The other subject occupying my mind right now is that of housing in DC - I need to find a place to live in 2 days that I am spending in the city before I head to central PA with Angelica, and I don't think it's going to be easy. I have been relentlessly perusing Craigslist for shared apartment/housing opportunities, with the hope that I can arrange numerous house visits during my short stay in DC and, ultimately, sign a lease. I think I will have at least a few possibilities lined up, but it is by no means going to be easy.

Thankfully, there should be some time for fun in DC with some of the frat boys who will be in the area, which should help to de-stress me should my apartment search become unbearingly frustrating.

There was a lot of news this weekend, so I should probably do a quick recap of the more significant items: Matt left for BC, and though I am happy for him in his new editorial venture, I'll miss having him around for beer and philosophy - hopefully we'll be able to arrange a holiday together in the near future; my Auntie Jean and her family visited last week - it was fantastic to see relatives that I have not seen since my evacuation from Indonesia, and my two younger cousins are incredibly cute :) ; my Dad, the most generous and giving person I know, gave me a business-class upgrade for my flight to the US, gave me access to the business-class lounge for my airport layovers, and said 'not to worry' about my debts to him - he wants me to be unburdened for starting my new life in DC, and also wants me to invest all of my savings on the stock market (which I'll do once I have them).

I owe my Dad (and Mom) so much, I don't even know how to begin repaying my debt to them, which is much more than the money they 'loaned' me for university. I am going to make it back to them eventually, in spite of their unbridled generosity.

If Matt is reading this, he is probably going to bitch.

No comments: